We get it, we all do it; try to pack in the fun while the weather is so beautiful. With this, comes the possibility of summer burnout. Back-to-back camp trips, hiking, long days on the river, family reunions, travel, and the list goes on! 

So, how can we avoid summer burnout? 

Balance is key, something we call the 80/20 balance. 80 percent of the time do the best you can when it comes to your diet and lifestyle. Eat foods you know will nourish your body and the other 20 percent of the time give yourself the grace to enjoy life! Have the glass of wine, the dark chocolate, the BBQ foods you crave during those warm summer months. 

Keep reading to learn 5 tips that will help that summer burnout!

1.Plan your week 

Look ahead in your calendar and see what you have coming up. If your social calendar is full be sure to build in space for some downtime. If your calendar includes a lot of dining out, ask to pick the restaurant so you can enjoy your social time out but are still nourishing your body for your 80% balance. 

2. Hydration, Hydration, Hydration 

We know, it’s easy to start the day with coffee, but challenge yourself to drink a 16 oz glass of lemon water upon waking first thing, before you have any coffee or food. For extra credit, you can follow that with an ancient Ayurvedic recipe that will support the body’s natural detoxification process. 

Detox tea: Equal parts cumin, coriander and fennel seeds. Simply take ½ tsp of each spice and steep in hot water to make a tea. 20 oz daily. 

3. Create a To-Do list 

This might sound strange but it’s a really effective strategy to help you keep a balance throughout the summer. You don’t have to say yes to every social engagement, to every family member, to every farmer’s market, live music or festive event. Create a list of things you’d like to do and if you don’t have the time to do the other things that come up that’s okay. Giving yourself permission to say no can be profoundly helpful! 

4. Create healthy habits you can take with you 

Traveling, playing or camping can be harder to balance since you are out of your normal routine. We have all been there… sitting by the campfire and indulging in a few s’mores when that isn’t something you would ever typically eat. And of course, by eating a little sugar it starts the intense cravings for more more more. Eating healthy while camping can be easier than you think! Try to prioritize veggies while camping. This can mean raw chopped veggies with some fun dips like hummus or try making these ‘veggie packs’ in tin foil to throw on the campfire. 

Simply chop up your favorite veggies and drizzle with avocado oil, salt, and pepper. Wrap in two layers of foil and you have a delicious and nutritious side to go with your camp meal. 

5. Get your friends involved 

Lastly, encourage your friends and family to get involved with you on creating healthy habits during these summer activities. Start by bringing a healthy dish to a BBQ or camping and have everyone try it. Or have everyone do a water challenge together to see who can drink the most water in a day before going out to an event. Once they see how fun these healthy habits can be and how good they make you feel without having to miss out on the fun, they’ll be thrilled to join in!

Learn our 5 tips to combat stress now.

Drop your email address below to be taken directly to a FREE, short video outlining our best kept secrets to reduce and relieve stress.

Check your email to start relieving stress RIGHT NOW!